Have cluster of pimples at the base of throat. How to get rid of this?

I have what looks like a cluster of pimples suddenly appear at the base of my throat, and a smaller one deloving about halfway between my throat and my ear, plus my gland is sore under that side of jaw bone
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
thanks for writing to us.
From the description you have given, it seems like a viral infection . However to confirm the same and to rule out other possibilities, I would like to know
1) if the lesions are unilateral in occurrence
2) if the area involved is painful
3) if the lesions began as cluster of clear fluid filled lesion
4) uploading an image of the concerned area would be of immense help in advising the treatment as dermatology is completely a visual field.
Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.
Follow-up: Have cluster of pimples at the base of throat. How to get rid of this? 33 minutes later
It is quite painful to touch
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 34 minutes later
Kindly answer all the questions specifically ( if unilateral, if began as fluid filled blisters in clusters) and upload an image of the concerned area.
I basically want to rule out if the lesions are plain furuncles or boils or these are lesions of herpes zoster. The treatment varies in both and hence differentiation would be required.
Follow-up: Have cluster of pimples at the base of throat. How to get rid of this? 23 hours later
Hello Here are the photos, I just took these photos 20 mins ago.
The area is quite painful, they started like the one on the side of my neck,
the one on my throat has clear fluid blisters, which burst under the shower.
Another one is forming on the back of my neck too
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 56 minutes later
Thanks for uploading the images.
The lesions look most probably of herpes zoster.
The treatment required is in the form of
1)Antivirals acyclovir or valacyclovir in adult doses for 7 days. But these are prescription drugs and should be taken only under a dermatologist's follow up.
2)Painkiller like ibuprofen or tramadol paracetamol combination. If very severe pain then pregablin or gabapentin or amitryptalline or carbamazepine.
3)Topical antibiotics like fusidic acid or mupirocin for early healing of lesions.

I would like you to start the treatment as early as possible so that progression of lesions can be halted . Treatment should also be started early because it prevents persistent pain after healing of lesions which is common in shingles( post herpetic neuralgia).
Hope that answers your query. Should there be any doubt, feel free to write back.