Have clumping blood, have to put sodium citrate before collecting as anticoagulant. HSV test negative. Suggest?

Hi there - I have blood that clumps when I get a CBC so they have to put sodium citrate in the tube before collecting it as an anticoagulant.

I was recently tested for HSV1 and 2 and thankfully the test came out negative. But, the thought crossed my mind...should I have informed them about my clumping blood, or does that just apply to checking platelet count?

Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I suggest you to not to worry regarding that. This is because HSV1 AND 2 tests are done on serum. Serum is what is left out of the blood when blood clots. So for the serum to be left out of blood it should first clot. The remaining part is the serum on which these tests are done. So do not worry regarding that.

Hope this helps.
Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty,
Associate Professor,