Have clogged, ringing ear, feel pressure on face and blurred vision. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
I have a clogged, ringing ear, and I feel a pressure in the left side of my face, which is the clogged side. It also seems like my vision is blurred on that side, but I am not positive about that.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seek immediate medical attention.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. If you have blurred vision and are not sure, have a heaviness of the left side of your face, with a history of a heart murmur, you must seek emergency medical attention.

2. A clogged, ringing ear may be due to a common minor reason such as build up of ear wax. An ear drum examination with an otoscope will settle the issue. Your hearing can also be assessed.

3. The heaviness on the left side of your face points to a either a Trigeminal (Fifth Cranial Nerve) or a Facial (Seventh Cranial Nerve) symptom. The (Opthalmic) eye and Trigeminal Nerves are away form the ear and hence a larger issue may co-exist.

4. All this can be easily tested by a doctor on direct examination. If all the examinations are normal, there is no cause for worry and simple medication will solve the issue. Important conditions to rule out are Bell's Palsy (any exposure to cold?) and Herpes Zoster Oticus (Ramsay hunt Syndrome, Type II) and any central (brain related) cause.

I must emphasize that the chance sod any major problem at your age is very low.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.