Have clear red stringy discharge. What does it mean?

What does it mean when you have a clear red stringey discharge that looks like snot.i don't have any medical issues so what is the problem
Posted Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 1 hour later
I would be pleased to answer your question .

Red stringy discharge means that you have an infection which needs to be treated with antibiotic cream and oral course .
This will help in reducing the inflammation and infection .
Please do book an appointment with the Dermatologist .
1. You can use the over the counter salicylic acid based face wash ( eg. Neutrogena XXXXXXX pore cleanser , Normaderm Vichy) . Use the face wash twice a day .
2. Use an alcohol free toner for the free outflow of the oil from the oil glands after using the face wash. ( e. Sebamed toner)
3. If you are using a sunscreen you should use a light water based SPF 15 sunscreen.
4. Do not use a moisturizer untill necessary as heavy moisturizer use can cause more acne on skin .

Dermatological CLINIC Based Services:

1. Salicylic acid is a a form a peel treatment , a liquid which is applied over the skin by the doctor. This is kept on the skin for a period of 5 minutes and removed out with water. The peel seeps in the skin and controls the size of the oil glands giving rise to acne . It also has mild antibiotic properties.
2. The dermatologist might prescribe you certain oral or topical application antibiotics.,

The above regimen is ideal for controlling your acne . The Peel treatment is the best treatment which has an advantage of not only controlling your acne but will also improve your complexion .

Follow-up: Have clear red stringy discharge. What does it mean? 5 hours later
What kind of infection do I have from a clear red stringey discharge that looks like snot
How does me having this discharge has anything to do with my acne
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 hours later
From where do you have the discharge .

There has been some confusion as you had selected the Acne category and mentioned about stringy discharge .
Could you confirm from where you are getting this discharge?
Follow-up: Have clear red stringy discharge. What does it mean? 37 minutes later
A discharge from my vagina
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 10 hours later
Thanks for the clarification.
Your category forum needs to be changed . This question should come in Gynecology .
It has been placed in Acne which has caused the confusion.
I would how ever be pleased to assist you with the same.
Stringy discharge can be due to infections. This can be related to trichomoniasis , other infections.
It can also come from non infectious conditions of the cervix or vagina like polyps , erosions , I would suggest you .to get the vagina and cervix examined by the doctor as suggested.

Thanks and take care. A pathology lab study of the discharge might be needed .