Have class 5 baldness. Should I go for hair transplant? Is this safe?

Hi, I am 29 yrs old, 5'8", 75 Kgs I have class 5 baldness.Please suggest what can I do to gt my hair back. Can you suggest me hair transplant types, and which one would give me the best result. I want My hair to look natural after transplant, and would like to get it done in very short time, as I cannot take a long break from my work, at the same time Price should not be exorbitantly high. Please suggest.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later

Thank you for posting the query.

Class 5 baldness would mean that you would have lost hair from the front going up to the crown of the scalp.This would involve the vertex too.Such kind of hair loss is known as Androgenetic alopecia.

There is little or no chance that any medicines would work in this.So the only permanent solution to you problem is hair transplantation.This is done by two methods .
1) FUT (Follicular unit transaction) method in which we take a strip of hair from the back(occipital ) region of the scalp .The back area is then sutured leading to a linear scar on the back. This long strip of hair which is taken out is then slivered thus making single and double hair follicles.
These hair follicles are then grafted on the front of the scalp.Before grafting multiple spaces or slits are made on the front of the scalp using special blades so as to place the hair grafts.
The disadvantage of this technique is that it leads to a big linear scar on the back of the scalp.
2) FUE (Follicular unit extraction ) technique: The main difference between FUE and FUT is the method by which follicular units are removed from the donor area ii.e. back of the scalp. The remainder of the procedure is essentially the same.
In FUE procedure we have to first shave the back area of the scalp ,following which tiny injections are given to numb the back area. Robotic machine is used to extract the single and double hair follicles from the back .Multiple such follicles are removed from the back of scalp.These hair follicles are then grafted on the front of the scalp where baldness is seen. Again tiny injections are given on the front area to numb the area .

The whole procedure might take 5-6 hrs.These surgeries are usually carried out in 1 day.You may need to take rest for couple of days depending upon the pain.Head can be washed on day 4 of the surgery.You can wear a cap following this .
Grafted hair usually takes 3-6 months time to grow.

More patient friendly technique.
No stitch marks on the back and thus no stitch removal .
Less pain as compared to FUT procedure.
Faster hair growth .
Minimal touch technique, thus grafts are not damaged.
Quality of graft is very good.

Requires much more physician time .
More expensive.
Needs to shave the whole scalp .

Now a days hair transplantation has become one of the most common cosmetic procedure in India. Cost of the procedure vary from doctor to doctor and also depends how many hair are being grafted. It may range from Rs 50,000/-to 3 lacks .FUE is more costlier that FUT procedure ,since it is the latest technique and more laborious.

You can google your search for a hair transplantation surgeon near your place.

You also need to have a very realistic expectation of the surgery since you may not get very high density in one sitting especially as you had earlier.

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Follow-up: Have class 5 baldness. Should I go for hair transplant? Is this safe? 2 hours later

After the operation, It's okay if There's not tht much of density, but I hope it will hide my baldness and the look and feel of the hair would be natural
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 33 minutes later

Thank you for writing back,

From the beginning it would be difficult to predict whether it would hide the baldness or not.This would also depend how bald a patient is and how many hair one gets from the back .The more number of hair one gets from the back the better the result.The number of hair grafted ,the look and the pattern greatly depends upon the expertise of the surgeon,apart from the density of the back hair.

The feel is always natural & the grafted hair usually stay for long life.

I would advice you to consult 2-3 hair transplant surgeons and take their best
opinion .Talk to them as to what best they can do for you at minimum cost.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.