Have cirrhosis, increase arthritis pain and abdominal bloating. Normal in cirrhosis?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have had early stage cirrhois for 5 years and have recently had increase in arthris pain and more recently abdominal bloating. Could these two symptoms be a progression in my cirrhois?
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

I dont think there is a correlation between cirrhosis and arthritis pain, but it can definitely be related with abdominal bloating as liver has role in digestion and intestinal function.
It is not possible to follow up liver state only by symptoms. You should do liver function tests and liver ultrasound. It would give reliable info about your liver condition.
Arthritis should be managed by painkillers and specific antiinflammatory drugs, but all these medicines can affect your liver so you should do liver enzymes check up at least once in 2 month and liver USG once in 6 months. If there is progression of liver cirrhosis then these medicines should be stopped or reduced.

For bloating problems you should avoid fatty food,fried food, carbonated and sweet drinks, alcohol, smoking and eat more fequently(5-6 per day) but smaller meals. Also, take enough liquids, magnesium and calcium supplements You should eat more fruit (bananas, strawberries, apples ),high fibre vegetables,boiled meat and fish.

Signs of cirrhosis progression would be jaundice, legs swelling, varicose veins, pain under the right rib cage, diarrheas and pale stool, skin itchiness and some other.

WIsh you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.