Have chronic sinusitis, persistent fever. Took paracetamol and nurofen. How to overcome this?

ENT Specialist
I have chronic sinusitis ands have recently had a viral head cold. day ago my sinus pain flared and I have had a persistent fever 38 -39.5 I have am taking paracetemol and nurofen alternating every 4 hours to bring down temp and reduce some of...
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

After going through the history I do feel you are suffering from acute exacerbation of chronic sinusitis. Do not worry! With appropriate measures this can be taken care off.

Firstly, ibuprofen and paracetamol alone will not suffice in reducing inflammation, you need to use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day. Saline spray along with steam inhalation helps in decongestion of the nasal mucosa, opening up of the blocked sinuses and relieves headache. Use ibuprofen only when your headache is intolerable, and you can continue with paracetamol.

Also try taking a mucolytic such as bromhexine or ambroxol. Mucolytic reduces the consistency of the nasal secretions and helps in easy clearance of the secretions. Drink plenty of warm water; avoid coffee, chilled food and beverages and smoking if any.

If the symptoms do not subside within a couple of days, then you may require antibiotics to take care of the infection.

Hope I have answered your queries, I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon