Have chronic recurring hives. I have been to doctors but no help. How to get rid of it?

I have chronic hives. I have been to doctors for years , but they have been unable to help me. The hives come on
gradually and reach the worse time; then gradually go away--usually last at least three weeks, go away and return
within two or three weeks. Can you help?
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

You seem to have skin allergy. Only avoidance of allergen can help in stopping those hives. But identification of allergen is difficult. If it is an environmental allergen like pollen, change of location may help. If it is a food material then avoidance of this may help. Trial and error may help in identification of allergen.

Anti-histaminic medications prescribed by your doctor after confirmation of diagnosis and may help in relief of symptoms.

Calamine lotion may provide some symptomatic relief. In USA, anti-allergic serums are available with family physicians. Check with your doctor about them.

Hope this helps.
Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics