Have chronic pain in shoulder and rhomboid area. X-ray/MRI of neck showed straight neck. Referred to neuro assessment. Suggestions?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Desperate Dental hygienist. I have chronic pain which started top and back of shoulder I now have severe pain in rhomboid area right side also feels like deep ache under shoulder blade which lots of grinding/popping sound sometimes when I breathe in also. Sometimes feels like the levetor scapula muscle is going to spasm and then I have right side mid neck pain.Had Xray/MRI of neck 3 years ago which showed a very straight neck but no other findings.I've seen a shoulder specialist who said it wasn't the shoulder joint it'self and referred me for neuro assessment. The neuro guy thought it may have been suprascapula nerve impingement but tests where inconclusive so referred me to physio. Have had lots of massage/physio but not improved symptoms. I continue to try to correct my posture but feel I'm not getting anywhere and something doesn't feel right at the back/top of shoulder blade also in mid upper rib area. Hard getting diagnosis and breaking down this web of pain. Many thanks in advance for any help. Emma
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 35 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
Before I answer your query, I need a little more information on your symptoms. So please answer the below questions and any other relevant information as elaborately as possible so as to arrive at a diagnosis -
* Since how long are you having this pain?
* Do you experience pain even at rest or only while making shoulder movements? or while involved in any specific activities?
* Is the pain localised to one area or distributed diffusely or radiating in nature?
* Which is your dominant hand for working? Right or Left?
* Any significant lesions that were made out on the MRI of your cervical spine? Please mention the impression of the MRI report

With all the information you provide, I think I can arrive at a possible diagnosis.