Have chronic pain from back to front along the lower rib cage. Appendix and ovaries are gone. Cause?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have a chronic pain ranging from dull to sharp and burning. It runs from back to front along the lower rib cage but about three inches below it. When I run my hand along the surface of my belly it is annoying and burns slightly to the touch. Both my right ovary and my appendix are gone. Is it gallbladder or pancreas?
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
The pain could be due to peptic ulcer disease

Detailed Answer:

The burning pain below the rib cage could be due to peptic ulcer disease. It can be confirmed with an endoscopy test.

Gallbladder pain is not a burning pain and is a acute severe pain felt below rib cage on the right side. Gallstone disease usually causes it and it can be confirmed with an ultrasound scan.

Similarly pancreatic pain is also not a burning pain and is most often a continuous boring type of pain that radiates to the back. In acute cases, it causes increase in the serum amylase and lipase levels and can be confirmed with a CT scan.

Your pain looks more like peptic ulcer pain and an endoscopy may be done to confirm it.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have chronic pain from back to front along the lower rib cage. Appendix and ovaries are gone. Cause? 19 hours later
Do I need a hepatologist or a gastroenterologist?
As far as it being an ulcer - I thought my stomach was on the left.
Can an ulcer be in my right side large intestines?

Just wondering, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to consult a gastroenterologist.

Detailed Answer:

Peptic ulcer pain is usually felt in the middle of the upper abdomen. But it can also be felt on the right and left below the rib cage. This unusual location of pain is also not uncommon.

Ulcer in the large intestine does not present this way. You can ask for endoscopy test when you visit your doctor.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini