Have chronic pain, fibromyalgia, arthritis, fibrocystic breast pain, and thyroid. Can costochondritis be caused from thymus?

I have Chronic pain (Fibromyalgia), ( Arthritis in spine), (Costochondritis), (Fibrocystic Breast Pain), & (Hypothyroid), no thyroid due thyroid cancer. I discovered on by own that have Costochondritis, which was confirmed by a physican. Question is can Costochondritis be caused from Thymus gland, I also experience upper back pain directly behind the gland. Could it also be cancerous. Sincerely, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 5 hours later

Costochondritis is caused mainly by infection - viral, bacterial or fungal. Local chest trauma, arthritis specially ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis can cause costochondritis. It can occur in association to fibromyalgia.

However costochondritis is not caused by thymus gland enlargement.

Though cancerous growth especially in breast, thyroid and lung cancer can present as costochondritis due to travel of cancer cells to the joint, the chances of you have a cancer is not likely. Evaluation by a competent physician to rule out the causes is recommended.

Hope I have answered your queries. If you have further queries you may ask me freely. If you don’t have, you may close this discussion here and please write a review on this answer.

God bless you.

Dr. Arnab Maji