Have chronic orthostatic tachycardia, is this the same as postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
I have chronic orthostatic tachycardia, is this the same as postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome?

My doctor has put me on an exercise plan with a physiologist to try to lower my resting heart rate which is usually 115bpm and goes up at least 40bpm when I stand.

Is this a successful way of lowering resting heart rate in a person who has orthostatic tachycardia?

I'm a 21 year old busy uni student, so I'd like to fix the problem because it causes me a lot of tiredness and exhaustion at the end of the day.

Thanks for your help :)
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 2 hours later
Dear Ma'm
Yes, POTS (symptoms but also to cure the disease. I think it should work.
Beside, treatment options in this entity include "frequent small meals", "increase intake of salt and water" and medicines.
Hope this helps.
Feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder

Follow-up: Have chronic orthostatic tachycardia, is this the same as postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome? 1 hour later
thank you for your answer,

is it possible for symotoms to come back if I was to stop with the exercise plan?

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 41 minutes later
Dear Ma'm

In a particular case, no one can be sure about the outcome; however there is a possibility that you have recurrence of symptoms after stopping exercise.

In one particular study - showing "exercise plan" to be a cure for POTS - researchers stressed that exercise has to be continued life long.

Hope this suffices. Feel free to write if there is any other query.

Sincerely
Sukhvinder