Have chronic nutropenia. Sister and brother diagnosed with addison's disease. Are the conditions related?

Hello, I have chronic nutropenia, my brother died from addisons desease, an now my sisters son has been diognosed with addisons desease , ae these conditions related?
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

I researched a lot on the correlation between two diseases - chronic neutropenia and Addison's disease.

I could not find any genetic correlation between them.

A correlation is possible in two other ways:

One is that an auto-immune disorder that is directing auto-antibodies towards your neutrophils and towards the adrenal glands of other family members. This possibility is remote. If the autoimmune disorder is present by birth then it will direct auto-antibodies to either the organs or the blood elements. If the auto-immune disorder is acquired then it will usually direct auto-antibodies to different tissues or organs and can produce a multitude of symptoms.

Second is that Addison's disease can cause neutropenia as a complication.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr Vaishalee