Have chronic lymphocytic leukemia and tender thyroid. Is there any connection?

Question
I have stage a cll. pre treatment dx 2010 and a tender thyroid. Is there any connection?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later

Yes,they can be interrelated. The mode of relation is as described below:
In Chronic lymphocytic leukemia mature lymphocytes become cancerous and begin to multiply, starting in the lymph nodes. The abnormal cells spread to the bone marrow, and then the spleen and liver, which become enlarged. The shortage of normal blood cells and an abnormal reaction by the immune system causes anemia. This immune system attacks normal tissues, destroys normal red blood cells and platelets, and causes joint inflammation and thyroid gland inflammation (thyroiditis).

I hope it is clear; however you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck

Follow-up: Have chronic lymphocytic leukemia and tender thyroid. Is there any connection? 7 hours later
Thank you for your response. Are the Lymphocytes not made in the bone marrow and then spread to Lymph nodes etc? How do you test the Thyroid for this? I have normal Thyroid function results and am having blood test today for Thyroid antibodies. Will this be enough to tell or would I have to have thyroid biopsy to tell if it has been infiltrated?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 31 minutes later

You are right that lymphocytes are manufactured in bone marrow.
If your thyroid function tests are normal, then their is nothing to worry.
You must get your thyroid anti bodies checked but it won't make any difference in the sense that even if you have positive antibodies test, no treatment would be given because your thyroid function tests are normal.
However it would tell that you may develop hypothyroidism later on.
No need to go for any thyroid biopsy.

Thanks

Follow-up: Have chronic lymphocytic leukemia and tender thyroid. Is there any connection? 25 minutes later
If I have thyroid antibodies won't it mean that the CLL is getting worse and may indicate time for treatment or will I just have to love with a tender thyroid?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Positive thyroid antibodies don't mean that CLL is getting worse.
CLL is one of the rarest subtypes of lymphoma that can involve thyroid gland.
And more over,if your doctor does suspect a thyroid lymphoma then along with biopsy,other relevant investigations have to be performed.
Thanks