Have chronic lacunar infarct involving left thalamus, unable to talk properly, swallowing difficulty. Have diabetes. What is the cause?

my 58 years old father diagnosed chronic lacunar infarct involving the left thalamus , he is unable to talk properly and difficulties in swallowing , he is also a diabetic patient since 5 years while he is trying to have food coughing a lot . what might be the cause , what is the treatment , where should be he treated
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Lacunar stroke or lacunar infarct  is a type of stroke that results from occlusion of one of the penetrating arteries that provides blood to the brain's XXXXXXX structures. 
Advanced age, chronic hypertension, smoking and diabetes mellitus are risk factors.there are five different types of lacunar strokes and each of the 5 classical lacunar syndromes has a relatively distinct symptom complex.
Medical treatments are typically aimed towards correcting the underlying risk factors for lacunar infarcts such as hypertension, diabetes mellitus and cigarette smoking.  
Physiotherapy interventions are used in the rehabilitation of lacunar stroke. A physiotherapy program will improve joint range of motion of the paretic limb using passive range of motion exercises
Difficulty in speech called as dysarthria and difficulty in swallowing called as dysphagia are the symptoms resulting from stroke.
The coughing produced during feeding is because of food particles entering in the wind pipe which results in bout of coughing.
He should be taken care of by a rehabilitation care team comprising of neurologist,physiotherapist and other support staff which can guide the patient as well as the family members regarding feeding and other things.
You must consult a neurologist and discuss about the mode of treatment and rehabilitation.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck.
Follow-up: Have chronic lacunar infarct involving left thalamus, unable to talk properly, swallowing difficulty. Have diabetes. What is the cause? 16 hours later
may i know ,who is the best doctor or which is the best hospital in India to treat my father, since last night we have observed a small twist in his Tongue as well.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
There are plenty of good neurologist and good hospitals across the country.
You may go to appollo group of hospitals or AIIMS in Delhi or VIMHANS in Delhi.
Try to enquire about a good neurologist in your city as it is always better to get the treatment near your house,since treatment is a long term.