Have chronic hepatitis b and getting back pain. Is this due to liver problem?

General Surgeon
I live on long island, and I just found out I have chronic hepatitis b. I live an active lifestyle, but I am worried that my right lower back pain could be the result of liver problems. I can't get an appointment until march 7 with a specialist. If the pain is the result of liver damage, am i in a fatal stage? I am also very interested in a naturopathic. Is this the way to go?
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 26 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Right lower back pain is for sure not caused by liver disease. Chronic hepatitis B usually does not give any symptoms and for sure no back pain. If the liver gets damaged, the first noticeable symptom will be fatigue due to jaundice. The appetite gets low and the skin can have yellow tone. If the liver cirrhosis will appear and will get decompensated, ascites appears as well as bleeding from esophageal varices.
So once again, back pain does not indicate liver condition.
The very important thing in this disease is amount of the viruses in the blood and liver. That is why naturopathic can rather not deal with it in such way. You should rather get antiviral treatment if your level of HBV DNA is high.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Have chronic hepatitis b and getting back pain. Is this due to liver problem? 10 minutes later
Can I go naturopathy but have another doctor just for the purpose of keeping an eye on the virus levels in the blood? Would I be able to use two different doctors in this way? I am very inspired by XXXXXXX Judd who actually shows and explains her natural remedies, on a website, for defeating hepatits c.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later

You can try naturopathy. I do not see anything wrong in it. Never hear about this person, but if she has a great experience in treating this disease it is always worth to try. Just do not give up on regular doctor and have this virus level controlled.

Hope this will help.