Have chronic hep-c. Found diffuse hyperechoic pattern. What does this mean?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I had a utrasound because i have chronic hep-c and the diagnostic report saids the liver is within normal limits in overall size and displays a slightly hyperechoic parenchymal echotexture diffusely. What's does this mean? My hep doctor doesn't seem concerned. I want second opinion.
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Diffuse slightly hyperechoic pattern could be due to fatty liver ( accumulation of fat in liver).

It could be due to hepatitis C infection.

You need to have a liver function test, Hepatitis C genotype test and HCV RNA test done for evaluation and treatment.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have chronic hep-c. Found diffuse hyperechoic pattern. What does this mean? 1 hour later
I am geo type 2b and have my live function test done regularly. They have always been normal. I choose not to do treatment at this time so to side effects. Does slightly me not bad? Is it cirrhosisi

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 hours later
If it is cirrhosis, it would have shown in the ultrasound scan as shrunken liver.
Since your scan showed only normal sized liver, cirrhosis is less likely.

But hep C over a period of time can lead to cirrhosis. hence periodic follow up is essential.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Thank you. One last thing. In your opinion if a person has chronic hep-c for 30 years and never had liver panel out of Normal range and utrasound and mri show nothing but hemangioma with no worry some other lesions is it safe to say mu hep c is slow moving and the chance of me dying from hep-c or related hep-c is slim. I guess what i am asking you are there any hep-c patients that have had hep-c longer than me and have never been treated that are living normal lives? Is it possible to have hep-c for 50, 60 + years with no major complications? Thank you so much for all your help in advance you have been great.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 26 minutes later
Hep C infection leads to complications like cirrhosis very slowly. It may take many decades before it results in cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma.
At some point of time, these do occur if the infection is not treated.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini