Have chronic filaria. Suggested to use lymphatic press. Need second opinion

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
My older sister (80 years old) suffers from chronic filaria on her left leg. A doctor suggested that we use Lymphatic press on the leg to reduce the size. Lymphatic press was useful but it seems to have increased the frequency of fever related to filaria. She normally takes a course of Hetrazan pills (diethylcarbamazine citrate tablets) three times a day for 21 days when she gets the filarial fever and then two tablets a week. I would like to consult a doctors specialising in filaria. Can you suggest a doctor.
We are living in Hyderabad, India.
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 4 hours later
thanks for writing in.
Taking into consideration your sister's age it would be advisable to resort to conservative measures as you are already doing. Hetrazan cover during the febrile episodes is a must.Externally antifungal powders will help prevent fungal infection. Continuous pressure by way of graduated pressure garments will also help.
The best specialist whom you can consult in your locality would be a plastic surgeon specialising in lymphedema management.
I hope this answers your doubt.
With regards