Have chronic cough. Diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer. What's wrong with lung?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hi
I have had a cough for a few months and now I get a little winded when playing with my dog and other not to strenuous activities. On my last physical the dr listen to my lungs and I assume everything is clear but I have a sence that something is not right even though my cough is not constant it is more frequent. I was also recently diagnosed with PTC with hurthles cells also. My question is if there was anything wrong with my lungs wouldn't listening with the stethoscope pick something up. I don't want to be a hypercondriact but I'm thinking of asking for a chest X-ray when I go for my Drs appointment this week fo get the clearence for my thyroid surgery. Do you think I am being over reactive to my thyroid diagnoses and would a chest X-ray reval any small cancer
Posted Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 35 minutes later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be having a chronic cough which has presumably not responded to medicines for now if any given for the same.
2. In your next visit to the doctor for fitness for surgery, you will definitely be asked for a chest xray as it is absolutely indicated.
3. In fact in such cases of PTC thyroid an evaluation regarding the spread needs to be done for staging the cancer and knowing its operability. We do have various radio isotope scans for the same.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Have chronic cough. Diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer. What's wrong with lung? 50 minutes later
I haven't taken any meds for cough because I doesn't feel like a cold or sinus thing or the kind I get when I feel like something is stuck in my throat I didn't say anything to the Dr So I will be getting a chest xray as part of the pre op? I didn't see that on my paper work. I thought I just had to do the blood work and have an EKG. Also what causes stinging like pain. I experience on my left side which is the side thoracic surgery was performed could it be adhesions? Again it's not constant but frequent and I don't think it is related to cough

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 14 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up query.
After going through the follow up query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You need to tell all your presenting complaints to the doctor at the time of the assessment. Please do not hide anything from him.

2. Once you reveal your complaint of chronic cough and chest pain, you will definitely be asked for a chest xray. This will be in your benefit.

3. Post thoracic surgery, slight chest discomfort is seen. Please do not worry about that.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist