Have chronic bronchitis heartburn. Took high dose of sleeping pill. Felt knot in throat. Heart related problem?

heart symptomsI took about 17 sleeping pills approx a month ago. now I feel sort of a knot in my throat and what seems to be indigestion pangs in the heart area. what could I have done? Not sure this has anything to do with the sleeping pills. I am about 50 lbs over weight an And I have always suffered from chronic bronchitis. I smoked about two packs of cigarettes a day for about 30 years. quit six years ago.vis the knot feeling in my throat a symptom of a heart condition? I ride a bike as my main transportation and dont really have any issues. I have had a lot of heartburn and gas lately as well..
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Will love to start from heart burn and gas issues. Heart burn is actually what is called gastroesophagal reflux, meaning acidic fluid in the stomach rushes into the throat or even at times up to the mouth. Continues burns can irritate the esophagus. This can lead to complications like narrowing of this tube, that could explain difficulties in swallowing or painful swallowing. Normally, a fibroscopy is required to make this diagnosis. Appropriate evaluation of this knot in throat sensation, heart burn and so much gas shall require the consultation and evaluation of a gastroenterologist.
Smoking also predisposes to esophagal cancer. I suggest your gastroenterologist also reviews this possibility in causing the knot like sensation in the throat. A chest X XXXXXXX on its own is very informative, in ascertaining the integrity of the lungs and the heart.
I suggest you book an appointment with a gastroenterologist for a proper clinical evaluation and management.
Hope this helps and best regards,
Luchuo, MD,