Have chronic bronchitis and bad cough, prescribed prednisone. Had hip replacement surgery, on Tramadol, Xarelto for clot prevention

General Surgeon
I have a problem with chronic bronchitis...and a bad cough. That cough has come on today as I recuperate from a doctor usually prescribes 5 prednisone pills over five days to get rid of the cough. I have some on hand. Is it safe to take it? I am on Tramadol for pain...also Lyric...and Xarelto for clot prevention.
My e-mail address is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You should not take prednisolone

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in XXXXXXX
Cough and chronic bronchitis are due to infection.
I prescribe antibiotic like Azithromycin and antiinflammatory medicine,Cough syrup which contains mucolytic and bronchodilator to my patients with similar complaints.
Please do not use prednisolone without doctor's consultation.It may delay wound healing as you are in postoperative period.
Hope i answered your query.
If you have any complaints,i will clarify further.
Wish you speedy recovery