Have chronic ITP. Taken Nplate for low platelet count. Taken Riuxan. Want to avoid spleen removal. How long to use Nplate safely?

I have cronic ITP my platelet count has dropped to 34 k I was given Nplate and it went way up but did not last long. So my Hemotologist gave me Rituxan. I had 3 out of the four treatments and on the third one I had a reaction that caused me to black out while driving home from treatment. So I was not given the forth and my count dropped. MY Dr says she can give me Nplate when my counts drops below 30k but it is not a fix. Last year i took Rituxan four treatments and it keep me good for 6 months. This time it does not to seem to be working. I want to advoid having my spleen taken out ,only at the very last resort. Nplate works but one shot last about 3 weeks. I need to find something or someway to maintain at least 30k on a long term basis. Do you have knowledge of how long I could maintain on using Nplate safety.
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 30 hours later
Romiplastim(Nplate) is a man-made form of a protein that increases production of platelets (blood-clotting cells) in your body.

Romiplostim is usually given after other medications have been tried without successful treatment of symptoms.

Using romiplostim long-term can cause harmful effects on your bone marrow that may result in serious blood cell disorders. To be sure this medication is helping your condition and not causing harmful effects, your blood will need to be tested often. Do not miss any scheduled visits to your doctor.

It is very difficult to predict that for  how long you won't have any bone marrow problem with the use of romiplastin.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other problem.
Best of luck