Have chills, fever, muscle and joint pain. What could this be?

For four days I have had chills, fever, muscle and joint aches, headache, and no appetite. What could this be? Can I take any over the counter medication? I currently take Lotrel(High Blood Pressure), Vytorin(High Cholestrol) and a baby aspirin daily.
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible causes listed; OTC would partly help

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome sir.

Thank you for writing to us.

I would be more than happy to help sir. Based on the symptoms you are experiencing, the possible causes could be:
-Viral infection (eg. mononucleosis, dengue fever, malaria, etc.)
-Common cold/flu
-Lung infection (bacterial, viral, or fungal source)

These are the only possible causes based on the symptoms provided sir. All of these possibilities are easily treatable, and most of them disappear without treatment. But, I would still advise you to visit your doctor especially if you have the luxury of owning medical insurance.

Over-the-counter medication would surely help in treating the symptoms, individually. But, the symptoms will recur as long as the condition is present sir. So, in my opinion it would be wiser to treat the condition, which will have to first be diagnosed and then accurately treated. I hope you understand why I say this sir.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.