Have changed medicine for BP. Have stress, dizziness and anxiety. Only medicine that helps is valium. Suggest?

my doctor increse my hi blod precur medicin . but is not going down ; i am 70 years old ? i do create alot of stress . to my self . the only medicin that hels is valium ? do you think i need a therapist ? i feel bad tence on my head . disiness . and enxity .
tighten when i urinate . it has to do with stress . my prostate is not inlarge
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 37 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to us.

Blood pressure medications are of many types and I am sure your doctor has examined you carefully before prescribing them to you in doses required. When you are talking of blocked arteries, I understand you mean the coronary arteries which are blocked 30%, 40% and 60%. Any narrowing more than 50% is significant and you have one out there which is 60%. Other than blocked arteries, your ECG and echocardiography are important to see for any cardiac related changes. A chest X XXXXXXX can be done to evaluate any respiratory or chest condition by imaging. If these investigations are within normal limits, thought must be given to stress related anxiety affecting you.

Little amount of stress is present in all our lives and we get used to it. It is only when something is troubling you constantly (your raised blood pressure or chest tightness) and if the situation affects your normal daily activities, it becomes a concern any meeting up with a therapist might be necessary before starting on Valium (diazepam) self medication. This is because there is every potential of developing dependence on medications unless taken under medical supervision.

A therapist will evaluate you and try to help you know what exactly is causing stress. There are ways to reduce stress without medications like mind relaxation techniques which will be explained too you in detail. Medications may be prescribed only if felt necessary and after confirming your stress and anxiety levels.

If your prostate, urinary bladder and kidneys are confirmed as normal in ultrasound scan, then the possibility of overactive bladder and stress related symptoms need to be evaluated. I hope you don't have urinary incontinence.

Hope your query is answered.
Should there be any queries, please feel free to ask.

Wishing you good health
Dr A Rao Kavoor