Have cervical spondolosis, degeneration of C2/3, C3/4, lumbar spondolosis. What is the most likely prognosis?

Spine Surgeon
I have cervical spondolosis, degeneration of C2/3, C3/4 etc, lumbar spondolosis, a protruding disc at T6/7 impacting on my spinal cord, a dessicated disc at L4/5, bulging discs in nearly all of the remaining lumbar vertebrae, multiple schmorl's nodes which, apparently, is most likely the result of underlying Scheuermann's change.

I am aged 60, spent 20 years in the Army and for the past 21 years, have been in a desk-bound role.

What is the most likely prognosis? A very painful old age?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 4 hours later

You just have age related changes in your spine. Commonly we call this as spondylosis. You mentioned all the investigation findings. I am more interested in knowing what your complaints are. Let me know if you have any particular complaint such as neck pain? Back pain? Arm/leg pain? Any tingling or numbness in extremities?

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Have cervical spondolosis, degeneration of C2/3, C3/4, lumbar spondolosis. What is the most likely prognosis? 15 hours later
I have burning pain in both legs, I get extremely sharp stabbing pain in both legs, not continual but a number of times a day. I get a feeling of thousands and thousands of sparks in both legs. My little toes on both feet feel numb, my hamstrings are extremely tight, it feels like I'm wearing something on both legs when I am not. When I do wear long pants, the rubbing of the cloth on my skin causes pain. My legs are very sensitive to cold. My steps are short, probably about 30cm. I cannot run more than one or two paces without pain. Every step causes pain somewhere in my legs.

I cannot feel heat in the lower part of my back and I can't lift anything over about 5kg without getting sharp pains in both legs. The middle of my back often goes into spasm which can last for weeks even with physio.

I cannot sit for more than an hour at a time. I work standing up.

My neck grinds when I turn my head, I have been told that I have only 70% movement capability in the cervical spine. I get headaches that go from my left shoulder up my neck, and from around my left ear to the middle of my head. Both little fingers feel numb.

I think that you might get an idea of what is happening now...

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 10 hours later

Thanks for the information.

From your history and intensity of pain it looks like you also may have spinal stenosis symptoms. You may have stenosis in both cervical and lumbar region. It seems you have quite disability as you are having difficulty in performing routine activities. If you have been investigated by CT / MRI scans please upload them using the feature available on this webpage.

Perhaps you need step by step approach in managing the condition.

Initially you can try doing pain blocks which may relieve your pain. If needed you can repeat those. Surgical treatment offers definitive treatment. However before suggesting anything I would like to see your cervical and lumbar spine MRI.

Awaiting your reply

Best Regards