Have central spinal stenosis, bulging discs, disc degeneration and lower back pain. Required medication?

Question
I have been diagnosed with central spinal stenosis as well as bulging discs and disc degeneration. In addition to the constant pain in my lower back, I have had for months pain in my left hip (mri shows no problems with my hip). The pain is now in both hips and walking for even short distances is becoming increasingly painful to the point shopping for groceries is next to impossible. I do not want to have to take narcotics for the pain. Is there a non narcotic pain medication that I can use to help with the pain? I have tried everything over the counter and nothing works. I was already overweight and the weight keeps piling on because I can not even walk for exercise due to the pain. I have no insurance and have had to rely on free clinics. I have an appointment later this month and would like to have researched non narcotic pain medications to discuss with the docter.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 hours later
Some non narcotic options do exist. You might need to try to take Vitamin B complex combinations. Other techniques like repeated massages and visit to the chiroproctor might help. You might need to avoid on sleeping on thick soft mattresses. Lie on flat hard surfaces on your leisure time. Ask your doctor on how to pick up stuff. There is a particular way to stoop to pick up things with this pain, because your spinal alignment needs to maintained as straight as possible. If you have available acupuncture specialists, they might also be of help.
You might need to discuss with your doctor on the most appropriate means of reducing weight. Weight loss is going to go a long way in reducing the intensity of pain you feel. Appropriate feeding regimens might help as well as specific exercises.
Thanks and best regards hoping this helps when you say you doctor,
Would be glad contributing if need be,
Best regards and the best of health,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Have central spinal stenosis, bulging discs, disc degeneration and lower back pain. Required medication? 13 hours later
What are the names of some of the non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs, tricyclic anti depressants which may help? I have tried several of them over the years but maybe not the ones you are thinking of. I already take the Vitamin B complex combinations. Laying flat on my back is out of the question as that intensifies the pain to the point of needing assistance to even turn over much less get up (having the MRI was torture). I have tried chiroproctors in the past without much success and no acupuncture specialists is available. My diet has already been adjusted due to the diabeties. Form my research it is looking more like non narcotic may not be an option since I have tried everything over the counter (that is all that I fine listed). If that should be the case do you have a suggestion for a low dose starting point for the narcotics? I have tried Tramadol and Loratab but only for the really intense days of pain not on a daily basis.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 28 minutes later
I wish to bring to your notice that all of them are available only on prescription and under doctor proper supervision.

Tramadol is generally the drug which relieves most patients. This is a narcotic that has its side effects and deserves being prescribed by your family physician for monitoring purposes and adapting the dose to your clinical state on examination and taking other clinical and paraclinical parameters into consideration.
I suggest you visit your family care physician to prescribe you a reasonable dosage of tramadol based on the parameters as I have cited. It would be more appropriate getting a new consultation with him to have all of these adjustments made. The lowest dose is probably safe to start.
Best regards. Do not hesitate asking any further questions if need be.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Have central spinal stenosis, bulging discs, disc degeneration and lower back pain. Required medication? 3 days later
What are the names of some of the non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs, tricyclic anti depressants you mentioned which may help? I do understand this would have to be under doctor supervision. I was needing suggestions which I could discuss with him.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 17 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the questions.
Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs and tricyclic anti depressants both have different sub classes. Selection of a sub class and prescription of a given dose, shall depend on the clinical evaluation of your doctor. Based on that, a particular sub class shall be selected. Remember, some drugs might not be compatible with particular aspects of your medical history or physical examination. The doctor generally masters these drugs, sub classes, indications, interactions and possible side effects. I would very much prefer your physician actually does the prescription. Proposing Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs and tricyclic anti drepressants shall be enough information to the colleague.
Thanks for your follow up questions and hope you take this in good faith.
Best regards and do not hesitate if I could be of help asking any further questions.
Luchuo, MD.