Have cellulitis on face. Took antibiotic eye drops and also hydrocortisone cream. Face appears to red and itchy. Suggestions

I have cellulitis on my face and have had 3 weeks of antibiotics and antibiotic eye drops and also hydrocortisone cream, my face is still bright red dry and itchy and my eyes are still very puffy...any suggestion please
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 3 hours later
Hello Madam,

Thanks for your question.

You say that you have cellulitis in the face, for which you are getting 1) Antibiotic 2) Antibiotic Eye Drops 3) Hydrocortisone cream. Still your face is bright red, dry and itchy your eyes are puffy.
Whether it is one side of your face or both sides. If it is on one side, a condition called Herpes Zoster has to be eliminated.

Any cellulite to develop there should be some preexisting condition, at least a scratch XXXXXXX or a cut, sore, or insect bite. Then bacteria enter through that, first infecting the skin and then to the deeper plane. Sometime there need not be pre existing cut etc., Those who have Diabetic or defective immune system can get cellulitis without any cut or bite. Skin problems, such as ulcers, eczema, psoriasis, allergic dermatitis, or a fungal infection may also produce cellulitis.

It seems that you have the involvement of the eye or the area surrounding the eye producing puffiness.

1. Antibiotic (if there is a discharge, Culture and sensitivity of the swab will pin point the type of Antibiotic)
2. Anti inflammatory either NSAID) alone or with
Serrapeptidase, Anti histaminic (anti allergic) cortisone by needle/oral/topical application to reduce edema and severity.(cortisone oral or injection only if you are not a Diabetic)
With this line of management you should become alright.

Since you had been taking the treatment and has not resulted in any improvement, it is necessary that you get it examined again. As the cellulitis is in the face and near to the brain, Immediate treatment by a doctor is warranted. It would be difficult to comment about the present situation without having a look at it.

Avoid unnecessary tablets, allergic food, allergic soap or whatever you feel like an allergy.
An ENT and ophthalmic consultation can be useful.

Hope I could guide you. Please let me know if I could assist you further. I hope and pray for your full recovery.

Best Regards
Dr. S. Jegadeesan