Have celiac disease. Rashes spreading onlegs and feet. Took blood test for gluten, count 171. Help?

I have just been told I have celiac disease. I have had a rash for years that the doctor told me was old age. I am 60 years old. Now that it is all over my arms and spreading to my legs and feet a different doctor took blood test for gluten. My count is 171. I have gone off all gluten but the rash seems to continue to spread. I need help! What can I do.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 34 minutes later
Hello, Thanks for writing to health care magic.

A number of skin disorders are associated with celiac disease.

Based on your description I can consider following two possibilities

1.Dermatitis herpitiformis,
It is most common skin disease associated with celiac disease. It is characterized by intensely itchy blistering rash. It is associated with gluten sensitivity.

2.Atopic eczema;
It is related to old age and celiac disease both.

Since you are having rash since many years a biopsy will be helpful for making exact diagnosis. You can consult your dermatologist for this.

For relief you need to take oral antihistaminics like hydroxizine .

You can apply steroid antibiotic combination like fucidic acid and betamethasone over affected areas. This is available on counters .

Continue with gluten free diet.

Avoid harsh soaps. Use lukewarm water for bathing. Use loose cotton clothes.

A definite diagnosis can be made by biopsy only and it is my sincere advice to you to consult a nearest dermatologist for it.

I hope this can solve your query. In case of any concerns, I will be happy to help you. Take care.