Have carpel tunnel syndrome, occasional mild numbness in arm and leg. Any treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have occasional mild numbness in my right arm and leg; but it only occurs when I sit for a time and then get up and start walking. Normally lasts less than one minute. I also have carpel tunnel syndrome.
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
There are many causes of occasional numbness in right arm and leg. These include injury to the back or spinal cord, Lack of blood supply as a result of plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause such numbness.

Firstly, I’ll request you to get your thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vitamin B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have carpel tunnel syndrome, occasional mild numbness in arm and leg. Any treatment? 44 hours later
hello Dr. XXXXXXX

I have taken B12 supplements for years and I take 100 micrograms of Synthroid per day; for about 10 years now.

I had my B12 and my TSH tested on 04/02/2013.
The B12 was listed as >1700 pg/mL; the TSH result was 2.36 uIU/mL.

Also, low level walking exercise seems to improve the symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Since your vitamin B 12 and TSH levels are normal, the numbness seems to be due to a decreased blood supply to the spinal cord or diabetes.
Regular exercise will help in improvement of your symptoms. You can also consult a neurologist for the same.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.