Have cardiac conditions, high TSH level. Prescribed with Thyronorm. What precautions should be followed while taking medication?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a heart patient having TSH value = 30 prescribed Thyronorm 25 . Please advise for a heart pateint what precautions before taking the Thyronorm .
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
A TSH value of 30 is definitely raised and needs treatment. Since you are a heart patient, it is likely that your cholesterol levels are also deranged. The thyroid supplementation will help in bringing the cholesterol levels also near normal.
You need to watch for a few symptoms such as weight reduction, irritability, anxiety, palpitation, increased perspiration, tremors, etc. If you develop any such symptoms, you will need to repeat TSH levels and get your medications adjusted.

Thyroid supplements do produce immediate effects on your body; however the hormone levels may take a few weeks to month to normalize.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.