Have cardiac catheterization. Suggested to go for bypass. What should be done?

My mother had cardiac catheterization. Her doctor said she needs a bypass. She is 65 and has no angina. Should she she get a second opinion?
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

Your mother seems to be suffering with Coronary Artery Disease and Cardiac catheterization with coronary angiography is best done to know extent of disease.

There must be significant multiple blocks - that is why bypass surgery is advised. Bypass is the standard treatment in the presence of significant multiple blocks; otherwise angioplasty with stents is alternative.

Please upload your reports so that I can review them. You have a feature to upload the reports by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.

If your mother is asymptomatic and there is no emergency, then before taking decision you can certainly take a second opinion. In the meantime she should take rest and take her medicines regularly.

Hope this is useful to you and let me know if you have any further query, I will be happy to assist you.

With best regards.
Dr. A. Dubey M.D.