Have carcinoma in spine. Not cured by hydrocodon. Suggest effective medicine

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have carcinoma in my spine -i have tried a few pain killers but no good--i am on hydrocodon now,for 2 years but i am hurting a lot again. can you sugest one that dosen't make me sleepy?

Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
In case of carcinoma, the pain is often severe. Since you are taking hydrocodone for 2 years, a milder pain killer like NSAID is not likely to help you. The opioid pain killers tend to make you sleepy.
You can try Tapendol or Naproxen or Ketorolac after consulting your pain specialist.
Few other options of treatment which may be useful in reducing pain and maintaining functional lifestyle are 'Transcutaneous Electric Nerve stimulation (TENS) units', relaxation techniques, occupational and physical therapy approaches.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.