Have canker sore outside labia, red and painful. Gums were swollen. Suggest?

General Surgeon
Question
Hello Dr. Grief. I have a sort of canker sore looking thing on my outer labia. It is exactly on its tip. I am not sexually active at all.. haven't been in almost 10 years. It looks red - not white and is just painful. Never had it before and it's been four days now. Seems to be getting worse. It is also not a cluster - just one. Today it also bled a little. Not sure if this is related but also my gums were swollen - no canker sores or anything - just swollen. Any ideas?
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is due to infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It looks like that area got infected and inflammed.
It has no relation to sex or cancer.
I prescribe antibiotics like cefpodoxime and metronidazole,anti inflammatory drug to my patients with similar complaints.
Swollen gums will also be reduced with above treatment.A Bcomplex tablet with antioxidants will help here.
Wish you speedy recovery

Follow-up: Have canker sore outside labia, red and painful. Gums were swollen. Suggest? 11 hours later
Thank you doctor. I just called the pharmacy to ask if they had an over the counter one and they said miconazole. Would that be good instead of metronidazole?
I will also be seeing my physician tomorrow.. just wanted to make sure I do not stay in this surprising pain.
Thank you again.

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Miconazole is antifungal,metronidazole antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Hi,miconazole is antifungal.metronidazole is antibiotic.
Do not use miconazole unless fungal infection is confirmed.
Take some antibiotic and anti inflammatory drug till you see a doctor.
Wish you speedy recovery