Have cancer, under chemotherapy causing chronic liver disease, unable to eat. SGPT decreased but bilirubin increased. Further?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi my mother is 56 years old and is suffering from chronic liver disease currently she is unable to eat anything her SGPT levels have come down to 40 from 103 earlier but her belirubin has increased from 4.8 to 9.8. She has a history of cancer and was going through chemotherapy till all this occurred. Now the doctor's here say that her liver has been damaged a lot and it has started to degenerate. We are really worried and don't know what to do. The doctor's are not giving any medicine to her except Actibille 300 and an antibiotic. I want you to help and guide me to cure my mother. Please
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would like to have more information so that I can give a better opinion.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

1. Is she suffering from cirrhosis of liver?
2. What cancer is she having?

Kindly get back to me with the answers and I would give my opinion.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have cancer, under chemotherapy causing chronic liver disease, unable to eat. SGPT decreased but bilirubin increased. Further? 23 hours later
she is suffering from chronic parenchyemal liver disease the doctor says it is due to the that she is going though chemotherapy from long time. She has been suffering from cancer since 2003 she was dignosed with brest cancer and was the left side of her breast was operated and removed after that she received chemo and radio therapy. She had only 2 lymph nodes effected out of 11 that were taken out after that she was fine till 2007 but in 2007 it reoccurred and she had severe pericardial and plural effusion she was on ventilator for 7 days but she recovered. She then she has been treated with chemotherapy multiple times as it keeps on recurring again and again. Recently she having some lymph nodes on her neck that has grown out for which she had to treated with chemo but at that time the doctors diagnosed her liver malfunctioning and declared that she can not be treated anymore and her liver was degrading in the mean while 1.5liters of ascites was also drained out of her stomach.
Currently she is getting weaker and weaker day by day she is unable to eat when ever she eats anything she vomits. Her eyes are looking yellow and we are unable to help. Please help

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for providing the details.
She is suffering from cirrhosis of liver.
It is an irreversible condition.
Treatment is mainly aimed at preventing and treating complications.
The only definitive treatment is liver transplantation.
But since she has had breast cancer, she may not be an ideal candidate for this treatment.
You can consult a gastroenterologist in your area.
Supportive care is all that is needed for her now.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have cancer, under chemotherapy causing chronic liver disease, unable to eat. SGPT decreased but bilirubin increased. Further? 32 minutes later
How can you say that it is irreversible condition when I have read that the liver cells regenerate itself ????? Is there any medicine which can help the liver to regenerate and work as normal as before???????
If there is non then I believe that medical science has not progressed in the last many years

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below

Detailed Answer:
If it is only hepatitis, there will be just damage to the liver cells which will regenerate.
If it is acute liver failure, sometimes the cells may not regenerate and may require liver transplantation.
If it is cirrhosis , the cells degenerate and form scar tissue and the liver shrink and they do not regenerate to the same condition as before. This leads to complications like ascites.

The medications that can reverse cirrhosis are still in experimental stages only.
If there are any such medication available, her doctor would have prescribed it.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini