Have burning stomach and facing difficulty in swallowing. What am I suffering from?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I have a question: ok these are my symptoms , 9 months ago I had burning in my stomach and regurgitation of food every time I ate I lost 10 pounds during my pregnancy.. Now I still regurgitate every time I eat but not as much I also have trouble worse when I eat chocolate , orange juice, tomatoes eggs.. I am at the point where I am now unable to swallow it is impossible to get a peice of food down I just drink protein shakes mostly and watered down applesauce I need help . My appt is finally on the 31st and am wondering what this could be and I'd there is any treatment I can be doing to help in the mean time ? It gets worse as the food gets lower to the bottom where it enters my stomach it just starts trying to squeeze through and is incredibly painful (hense the reason I don't eat much now) any suggestions ? Thanks the swallowing started after the constant regurgitation after a period of 6 months or so..
Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing in

The information provided is suggestive of Gastroesopageal reflux

The pain that you have at the lower end of oesophagus is due to inflammation of the mucosa by constant reflux of the acid from stomach to oesophagus

Here are few tips you can observe that will help reduce reflux :

GERD
1] Avoid spicy, fermented meals
2] Do not have heavy meals
3] Avoid smoking and alcohol
4] Wear loose clothes
5] Do not stoop
6] Do not lift heavy weights
7] Raise the head end of your bed
8] If Obese lose weight
9] If under stress - Manage stress levels by meditation and exercise

Domperidone and Rabprazole are the medicines that will help

But undergoing a GI Endoscopy and/or a H Pylori test to rule our infection would be of help in any case

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of doubts
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Have burning stomach and facing difficulty in swallowing. What am I suffering from? 25 minutes later
Is that what is causing the trouble swallowing that recently started? It's getting so bad I can't eat solids and last question the er gave me " omerezople" does that help heal the esophagus and the pain? If so how long do you think? thanks

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 7 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for writing in again

Yes GERD is the root cause of your symptoms

Omeprazole also will help heal this but domperidone will have added advantage

If H Pylori is found you may need extra antibiotics

Omeprazole needs to be continued for two to six weeks depending on the response

Hope this clears your doubts
Do write back in case any clarification is needed
Get Well Soon

Follow-up: Have burning stomach and facing difficulty in swallowing. What am I suffering from? 2 hours later
Thanks and will the swallowing problem then resolve itself ? And what is h pylori and is is confirmed through a scope or blood test? Thanks so much

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 minutes later
Hi

Yes with inflammation under control the swallowing problem will resolve

H Pylori is an infection of the stomach

It can be confirmed through endoscopy, blood or even stool test

Hope this helps
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Have burning stomach and facing difficulty in swallowing. What am I suffering from? 4 hours later
Hello, thanks again I just wanted to see if maybe u could answer one more ? I had I forgot to leave out .. When I had the baby 7 months ago, they took me that same week and removed my gallbladder said it was non functioning.. although it wasent hurting it was completely useless they said.. I had got these symptoms 3 moths prior to this so I figured removing it would maybe ease it up some.. But not much.. Is this at all related to the hellacious reflux and damage or is it unrelated?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi

There is a condition known as Post Cholecystecomy syndrome

But these symptoms can not solely be related to the same

I would suggest you avoid fatty meals and cheese butter etc as the gall bladder is removed

Hope this helps
Wishing you a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Have burning stomach and facing difficulty in swallowing. What am I suffering from? 21 hours later
Is narrowing or a structure likely at my age and having this close to a year and food getting stuck in the bottom part of my esophageous? Or is it most likely the gerd and treatable without surgery started the medication 3 days ago some improvement with acid reflux but still trouble swallowing

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 hours later
Hi

It is possible at any age but your symptoms do not point to it

It appears to be GERD and treatable

It usually takes around 2 weeks to have a good relief

Hope this helps
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Have burning stomach and facing difficulty in swallowing. What am I suffering from? 12 hours later
Thank you for your help. Will rate good
I have ones at question I have been suppressing the acid with pepcid an omezprazole for 3 days and the rugurutation has stopped . The swallowing problem is getting worse though is this normal during healing? It's bad I can't barely get liquids down.. thanks so much

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 11 hours later
Hi

Reassure yourself, hope fully it should not be any major issue

Yet, If you are having problems getting liquids down it is better if you go for an upper GI Endoscopy

Wishing you a speedy recovery