Have burning smell in urine and stool. Should I be concerned?

About 3 month ago I realized that my urine smells like burned - it is hard to explain. Also a month later my stool started to smell like this. The smell is very strong, maybe like Ammoniac. In addition, I realized that my stool is not as dense anymore - this can, however, be related on my diet. I do not face any other symptoms at this time. Can you let me know if this is something to be concerned of or what to look out for? I’m kind of concerned since this is already going on for few months.

Thanks a lot,
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Should not be cause for concern

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

Since you are already under treatment for HIV you must have extensively been investigated. I hope you do not have diabetes or ketone bodies in your urine. If all the investigations are normal then there should not be a cause for concern for the smell.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Follow-up: Have burning smell in urine and stool. Should I be concerned? 9 hours later

Can you please preovide some reasons why this change might have happened? I did not change anything within my lifestyle lately.
Also can you please explain what I should watch out related to diabetes or ketone bodies?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Watch for ketone bodies in urine report

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the update.

You need to worry only if your urine report shows ketone bodies which will be present in case you have diabetes which is uncontrolled. I shall appreciate if you can review your urine report and, if possible, share it with me.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction.