Ask a Urologist   »  

Have burning sensation in rectum, bladder, genital area and feeling difficulty with urination. Concerned

I have a burning sensation that seems to radiate from the rectum, bladder and genital area.There is no abdominal pain or difficulty with urinating.Had a recent physical and all of my numbers were normal including a psa of 1.1. Had adigital exam and the doctor said it was normal , however it was tender and painful to me .About a year ago I had bloodly seamen for a few months, but again the doctor was not concerned. I can live with the burning but am still a bit concerned. I would be grateful to have your opinion . Thank you !
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
To me, it looks like inflammation in the prostate or seminal vesicles.
Things that would help are
1.     Urine culture to choose the right antibiotic.
2.     Antibiotics for at least one month.
3.     Alpha blocker (long term)
4.     Stool softeners.
5.     Regular sex or masturbation.
6.     To keep Blood pressure under control.
7.     Muscle relaxants.
Hope this helps, kindly get back for doubts if any..
Follow-up: Have burning sensation in rectum, bladder, genital area and feeling difficulty with urination. Concerned 2 hours later
Besides cipro what type of antibiotic might you suggest and why an alpha blocker long term ?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 48 minutes later
Welcome back.
Most quinolone group of medicines like cipro or ofloxacin are effective.
Also sulfonamides are effective.
Alpha blockers do help in prostatitis and benign enlargement of the prostate - to relieve symptoms.
Kindly take medical advice and get well soon.