Have burning sensation in collarbone. Recovered from virus, fever, chills and sore throat. Could this be related?

Apr 2014

Just recovering from 3 day flu virus, fever, chills, sore throat, cold, cough...anyway...ache has gone but now I have a burning pain in the upper left by collarbone. It gets worse when I take a breathe. About 3 weeks ago I had a FNA on a thyroid nodule, it didn't hurt as much as this...same side. Could this be related?
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It may be due to pleuritis. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX It is good that you have recovered from flu illness. Burning pain near left collar bone is not related to FNAC of thyroid nodule. Burning pain is associated with respiration,so it may be due to pleuritis and it needs to be examined and investigated by pulmonologist. At present you can take tablet paracetamol 500 mg thrice daily after food. Other NSAIDS like ibuprofen can also be given. Empirically complete course of antibiotic can be given for bacterial reason but viral cause doesn't require any antibiotics. Investigations like routine hemogram,RBS,Chest X-ray(PA view) should be done.Further investigations can be done if needed. Proper treatment can be done after clinical examination and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX