Have burning red skin and edema on legs with swelling in hands and tissue pain. Suggest?

I have burning red skin and edema on my legs. Also what looks like purple cob weds up an down my legs. Swelling in hands and arms with all over tissue pain
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Multiple sclerosis or side effect of copaxone

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am.

I am sorry you have to experience this. If you were not diagnosed with MS (multiple sclerosis), I would have suspected a number of conditions to be the cause (eg. pulmonary hypertension, liver conditions, kidney conditions, MS, coagulation disorders, peripheral neuropathy, and so on).

But based on your history, we can attribute your presentation either directly to the MS or we can consider your presentation to be a side effect of the medication (copaxone).

Copaxone has shown to cause vasodilation (widening of the blood vessels, making them quite visible), increase in blood pressure (inside the blood vessels, which can also make them widen and quite clearly visible to the naked eye), and many other side effects. My advise would be to first get your blood pressure checked as the swelling all over could easily be caused due to the hypertension, and revisit your doctor for a change in medication ma'am. Also, while you are at the doctors, do get a doppler scan of the affected area to check on blood circulation in the region.

I wish you lots of luck, and a symptom-free life hereafter. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.