Have burning pain in bottom of feet, radiating to calf. Remedy?

I am having a burning pain in the bottom of both my feet and radiating to my calf almost to the knee on both sides
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
peripheral neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Abnormal sensation can be related to issues with the blood flow or nerve supply. When it is related to the nerve supply that does not involve the brain or spinal cord , it is called peripheral neuropathy.

Peripheral neuropathy is abnormal sensation or pain that is caused by a change in the function or structure of the nerves.
This is more likely based on the history given. It can occur due to different reasons such as: (1) diabetes
(2)vitamin deficiency -especially vitamin b12 and folate
(3)alcohol use
(4)side effect of some medication
(5)kidney disease
(6)autoimmune diseases - lupus, rheumatoid arthritis
(8)increase in growth hormone levels
(10)excess lead exposure

Peripheral vascular disease-this is disease of the blood vessels of the legs. It occurs mostly in persons with a history of hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol, smokers, inactivity .In this case the abnormal sensation or pain would normally occur with activity when increased blood supply is needed and may , at least initially, resolve with rest.
If your burning is both at rest and on activity it is less likely to be related to the circulation and more likely to be peripheral neuropathy.

To determine the exact cause, you need to consider visiting your doctor, if possible.
This visit would include an assessment of your blood suppy and nerve function.

Blood test would also be suggested.

Treatment would vary according to the cause found

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any other questions