Have burned inside of mouth by eating hot food. How to get relief?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
hi just ate some food from microwave it was too hot. i may have burned just inside mouth/inside lip. i only see a purplish slightly raised vein, not really red or blisters or anything. could the vein be from the hot food? dont know if it was already there but that spot hurts a little now. can i suck on ice or cool water? The inside of my bottom lip area is definitely feeling irritated now. Slight but nagging sensation. That vein is definitely prominent on 1 side. If i burned it how can i soothe it?
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cool water and pain relief. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. It is easy to accidentally burn your mouth with hot food from the microwave and from your description of the area of the burn, this will not cause a serious problem but could be painful for a few days. The prominent vein need not cause you concern. This would be a normal reaction of the vein to the excessive heat. You should avoid ice but rinse the area with cool water. This will ease the pain. Do not apply any creams or ointments as the mucous membrane or skin over the area it likely to be damaged and prone to irritation. Blisters may develop over the next 24 hours. Try to avoid bursting the blisters. If you need pain relief then I suggest paracetamol and ibuprofen. I hope this is of help. If you have a further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Have burned inside of mouth by eating hot food. How to get relief? 7 minutes later
Thanks, The area is the lower lip inside mouth where my left canine tooth touches the inside of my mouth. I dont know if that makes a difference. i will take your advise, no ice, just swishing cool water and pain relief. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: You will soon feel better. Detailed Answer: Hi, This area is relatively superficial so if there is any swelling then it will not affect your breathing or swallowing. I wish you a speedy recovery. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA

Thank you Doctor :)

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you. Detailed Answer: Hi, If you have no further questions you may close the query. I wish you good health. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger