Have bunion. Wearing rock climbing shoes daily. Which type of sandals should I use?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have bunions that are NOT painful. I wear Chaco sandals almost exclusively and am concerned that they might exacerbate my bunion problem. I do a lot of rock climbing and I know the shoes I wear (tight) are not helping the issue but that issue can't be helped as I am an avid rock climber and don't want to give it up. I wear rock climbing shoes for only a couple of hours every three days or so. You can see from the picture that the strap appears to be pulling my big toe inward which I doubt is good for my bunion. I want to know what type of sandals I should wear to either insure my bunions don't get worse or possibly help fix the problem. If the Chaco's are not appropriate please recommend a sandal that would be. Also are there other items I should use that would be helpful. I would like this question to be answered by a Podiatrist or an Orthopedic Surgeon that specializes in the foot. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

I have gone through the images attached by you.The strap over great toe in your chaco sandel might exacerbate your bunion causing more pulling of great toe towards other toes.

I recommend you to -

*Wear sandles with a wide and XXXXXXX toe box.. This can often solve the problem and prevent you from needing more treatment.

*Wear felt or foam pads on your foot to protect the bunion.

* Wear sandles with Correct Toes spacers.Spacers to separate the first and second toes.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Have bunion. Wearing rock climbing shoes daily. Which type of sandals should I use? 4 hours later
Please recommend a specific brand of sandal. I have searched but can't find one. Thanks. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 12 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

I would recommend you Yoga sandal.Designed to provide correct spacing between toes.These are very good to correct and prevent the bunion.

Hope this will help you.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.