Have bumps on tongue and itchy palate. Started feeling cold and have sore throat. Worrisome

I have red bumps on my tongue that burn and the roof of my mouth is itchy. At first I thought it was food allergy because earlier that day I ate thai food that included peanut pasta, but I have eaten this many times before no problem. My 3 year old son also shared a glass of water with me during the same meal and he mentioned a bump on his tongue too. My son seems to be find now, but now a week later I still suffer with bumps on my tongue and now I have flu like symptoms (chills, soar throat). I might add that I am a single mom in the dating world. Should I be worried?
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 29 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

It does look like your symptoms are mostly related to either allergy or sexually transmitted. You may want to disclose details to your doctor in any case.

If allergic, though the cause in this case again may add to the big list of things you are already known to be allergic (maybe not peanut pasta) - more importantly you need a full evaluation of the throat too and for the flu. Sometimes, allergy does lead to a flu as well. Flu also needs medications to tide over the temperature and pains grossly if evident later. You may be given anti-allergic medications and they would reduce the bumps in case the above is indeed true.

And if sexually transmitted, you may require a course of antimicrobial drugs specific to the microbe isolated or diagnosed on clinical review by your doctor. As it is not possible to diagnose looking at the picture here, I cannot assume the possibilities too as there are more than few microbes on the list of sexually transmittable.

Not to worry, but you both (as your son also had the same lesions earlier) may need medical evaluation as soon as possible. And a word of caution and restraint is also advised in either cause suggested here to prevent future recurrences, for your health sake and your son's. A good counselor should be sought at the end if your doctor does recommend.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.