Have bumps on the back of tongue and white scaly bits. Have stuffy nose and breathing problem. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have bumps on the back of my tongue and just a bit of white scaly bits on the side. My tongue is usally white. I feel very drousy alot. I have sime problems breathing, my nose is always stuffed and the bumps at the back of my tongue smell bad. (The bumps do not hurt. What is wrong and how do i go about it?
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible oral fungal infection and nasal polyps.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
You have a number of questions which I will answer in the order you have asked them.
The bumps on the back of your tongue are most likely to be normal taste buds which can appear as numerous bumps when you open your mouth and protrude your tongue.
Some white coloration of the tongue is normal. If it is mainly white this may indicate a fungal infection such as candida. Other symptoms that would indicate oral candida would be soreness in the mouth, salty or bitter taste and a burning sensation of the tongue. The treatment of oral candida is simple. It can be treated with anti-fungal agents in the form of gels, tablets, lozenges, creams or mouth washes. Most of these can be bought over the counter without a prescription and are usually taken for 14 days.
You mention you are drowsy a lot. This may indicate you are run down and may have a weakened immune system. This can be a cause of oral fungal infections.
The problem you have with your breathing may be due to nasal polyps. These are fleshy cysts in your nasal passages which may partially block normal breathing and cause a stuffed up sensation. The treatment is nasal drops or a spray prescribed by a doctor. An alternative explanation for your stuffed up feeling is an allergy. This may be hayfever or house dust for example.
Finally, the smell from the back of your mouth is probably not the bumps but the effect of the oral candida infection giving a bad taste.
I hope I have answered all your questions fully and to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Follow-up: Have bumps on the back of tongue and white scaly bits. Have stuffy nose and breathing problem. Suggest? 19 minutes later
How about the smell?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Related to the oral candida.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the further question.
The smell may be related to the oral candida infection. It can be helped by meticulous attention to oral hygiene with frequent brushing of your teeth and use of anti-septic mouth washes.
Any further questions, please contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,