Have bumps on side of head, getting numbness all over body. Blood test normal. What is wrong?

Nov 2013

i get goose bumps on right side of my head.. what is that?
also i wake up anxious al the time.. cant catch my breath at times... then i get this numbing sensation in my head and body.. last a few seconds then it goes away... so scary... help me understand what it is... had blood work done and all normal last month.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of any serious neurological disease.

However, two possibilities should be excluded.

First, a sensory seizure. In this case, episodic numbness can occur lasting for a few seconds or minutes. It may repeat at times.

Second, a TIA- transient ischemic attack. In this condition, the blood supply to a part of brain is reduced for a short while, leading to transient neurological symptoms.

As of now, there is no need to worry. If your symptoms recur, please get MRI brain and EEG done.

I would be pleased to answer any follow up queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Have bumps on side of head, getting numbness all over body. Blood test normal. What is wrong? 34 hours later
Hi.. Yesterday I woke and felt like I couldn't breathe so I took a Claritin, felt like anxiuous.. so I did some yoga and felt better.. Deep breathing exercises.. Later that night u went to store and this happens when is it in car too long... I was fine at store then while my husband stepped away after a few
Minutes, I felt this weird feeling, my forearms and hands and calves and feet were getting weak and I was becoming disoriented.. I sat down the heart started to breathe fast and got really hot especially my ear lobes.. After that had severe nausea for about 1/2 hour.. Was fine after that.. So scary! What happened
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.
The description of the recent event also sounds like a seizure episode. The other possibility could be a panic attack.
There is no need to worry, as both of them can be well treated with medications.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow-up: Have bumps on side of head, getting numbness all over body. Blood test normal. What is wrong? 1 hour later
oh no you got me so so nervous!! I had brain mri 2 yrs ago and was normal... my neuro did all these test emgs and all was normal..3 yrs ago.. i have mild carpel tunnel in left hand.I had my gall bladder taken out 2 yrs ago too.

I get this overwhelming fear out of the blue and get really weak.. my lips go numb, head, body... feel faint but never faint. I feel unreal but know where I am.. so maybe disoriented is not the right word.... lately i deep breathe through them and it goes away.. i think I panic when it comes on.. i feel it coming on.. then it happens...

I hope its not seizures..who do i go to for that...when i asked my neuro 2 yrs ago he said no...i have these more often now
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Oh sorry if I got you nervous! This was not the intention.
If you have had an evaluation by a neurologist, and he has excluded seizures, then, it is a good news!! You should feel happy now.
In your recent case, then it would be panic attack. However, since you mentioned disorientation, I raised a possibility of seizures. If you were well oriented and not confused, then, the episode is unlikely to be a seizure.
For further help in treating panic attacks, you should consult a psychiatrist/psychologist.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)