Have bumps on inside of thighs, all have hair attached, could this be HPV?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I want to know if genital warts can grow hair- I have bumps on inside of my thighs, all have hair attached, could this be hpv?
I'm thinking it could be hair follicles, but they are raised, is that possible for hair follicles to be raised? They are white in appearance, and slightly raised . . . .
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

It would be easier to evaluate if you attach photo.
This is not usualy manifestation of HPV or any other viral infections as these warts don't grow hair and dont start in hair follicles,also it is not commonly seen as isolated lesion on thighs.
It can be hair follicle which may become raised when there is irrittation, inflammation or the blockage of sebaceous glands and hair follicle openings.
If there is no redness, pain or pus scretion there is no need to be concerned and no specific treatment but keeping this area clean by mild soaps and dry.
If signs of inflammation occur you might need antibiotic treatment.
If warts occur on genital area or around the anus and there is possible contact with infected person then HPV can be considered and you should do testing.
WIsh you good health. Regards.

Follow-up: Have bumps on inside of thighs, all have hair attached, could this be HPV? 18 minutes later
Thanks! I will attach a photo and send later today. I do have some other slightly raised bumps on my testicles, but it's the same thing, they all have hair. I don't have any redness, pain or secretion . . . Could the ones on my genital area also be follicles? I take it that if it has hair growing from it, it really wouldn't be genital warts?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 47 minutes later
Hi.

Yes,hair follcile can be seen in any area where hair grow. Hair dont grow from genital warts. Warts can only surround hair follicle and then it can look like it is growing from it.
See you later with photo.

Follow-up: Have bumps on inside of thighs, all have hair attached, could this be HPV? 6 hours later
I uploaded some pics- these are of inside of my thighs, under my scrotum and of my testicles. What I'm wondering is if those raised bumps are hpv? They do all seem to be attached to hair. But why would they be raised like that?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 8 hours later
Hi.
No, it definitely doesnt look like HPV as I can see on these photo. These are raised hair follicle or clogged sebaceous glands. This is usually resulting from excessive sweating in this area. Some people also have very visible Fordyce's spots on testicles and penis. This requires no treatment at this point. It usually pass spontaneosuly, but it may become inflammated and then you might need antibiotic cream or systemic antibiotic treatment.

Follow-up: Have bumps on inside of thighs, all have hair attached, could this be HPV? 15 hours later
Thanks so much! That is good to hear! For years I've thought they were genital warts. What would it look like if they became inflammed?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 9 hours later
Hi. You are welcome.
It would be red, painful with swelling around it or there would be pus secretion.
But dont worry, it usually dont appear. Wish you good health.