Have bumps at the back of my throat and tongue. Serious?

I have bumps at the back of my throat on the tongue and a white coating on the actual tongue? is this serious?
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 2 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have seen your attached photograph. You probably have glossitis and white coating of tongue. It may be a Oral thrush but needs to be evaluated.

Bumps on the back inside are normal. They are nothing but large taste buds known as Circumvallate papillae. So don't worry about those bumps.

A coated tongue is not a disease and is not usually a sign of anything serious. It's usually only temporary.

I suspect its all due to poor oral hygiene. You can try gently brushing it with a tongue scraper and drinking plenty of water to help it improve.

However, sometimes a coated tongue can indicate an infection or more serious condition. You should see your GP for advice if:

-you're concerned about changes to the appearance of your tongue
-your tongue hurts
-your coated tongue persists for longer than two weeks

You have dental caries also, its clearly visible in your photograph.
I suspect its all due to poor oral hygiene.

I suggest you to consult your physician and also get your blood work done to rule out what will be causing this.