Have bump on tailbone. Hurts to touch. Should I be worried?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a weird little bump on my tailbone, right now it just hurts but im worried it might get really serious, do you know what it could be?
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 38 minutes later

The lump you have on your tailbone could be a pilonidal cyst. It is common for young men and the peak incidence of Pilonidal disease is between 16 and 26.

A Pilonidal cyst may remain harmless. If it becomes infected, however, it will cause pain, inflammation and usually drainage of fluids. So I would suggest getting this evaluated by a doctor for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.
If you have no further query,please close the discussion,rate the answer and give your review.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Have bump on tailbone. Hurts to touch. Should I be worried? 3 minutes later
What kind of treatment would be offered for this? Luckily it's only been hurting for a few days.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

No medical treatment is needed for pilonidal disease that is not causing symptoms. If you have been diagnosed with a pilonidal cyst or pilonidal disease, keep the area around the cyst clean and dry. Use an antibacterial soap to wash the area. And wipe with an alcohol swab 2 to 3 times a day when the pilonidal area begins to get irritated.
Sitting in a warm tub may decrease the pain and may decrease the chance that the cyst will develop to the point of requiring incision and drainage.

Hope this information helps you. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.