Have bump at the top of pelvic area. Blood came out after popping it. Practicing safe sex

General Surgeon
I have this bump at the top part of my pelvic area (its not noticeable until you move around the hair).. I tried to bust it but when I did blood came out so I left it alone, The bump is still there & still the same size as it was when I first noticed it & that's been about a week now, I have been practicing safe sex but its really freaking me out what could it possibly be?
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 34 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

The bump you have in pelvic area is most likely hair follicle inflammation. Its called folliculitis. The most common reason of this condition is bacterial infection of the hair follicle. Hair follicle constantly produces tallow and excretes it outside. Infection leads to an obstruction in this area so the tallow cant get out. This gives a pimple like bump. Pus can accumulate inside.

Most of such infections heals by its own in 2 weeks. You may help with this process by frequent washing this area with warm water and soap. If it doesnt bother you, you may try to puncture this area with needle and try to evacuate it.

If it wont get better in 2 weeks, you should see dermatologist.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Have bump at the top of pelvic area. Blood came out after popping it. Practicing safe sex 21 minutes later
If I were to puncture the area with a needle will blood come out of the area or pus? Also how could the bump vary between a wart or herpes
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Puncture can cause bloody substance appearance. It does not have to be pus. But this blood flow will help with clearing this area.
Herpes(HSV) infection usually causes boils and wounds around the anus, vagina or mouth. This area is not characteristic for this virus. It really does not look like HSV infection.
Warts are caused by HPV. It causes rough cauliflower like lumps. It grows on the surface of the skin. Yours lump is under the skin. So it does not look like HPV infection either.

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Have bump at the top of pelvic area. Blood came out after popping it. Practicing safe sex 30 hours later
When I puncture the area what happens to it does the area scab? It seems as if that bump will not go away it still remains the same size. Could it be possible to contract warts that high above the genital area? An after 2 weeks if the bump remains there could it be something different. It's odd to me that this has come considering that none of my partners have had anything that I myself can catch but it's really freaking me out! Oh and one more thing, how can I avoid this from happening should I not wear so many layers of bottom clothes (shorts, boxers, pants)
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 hours later
Well, all I see is the picture from you. And this picture shows that this does not look like a wart. It is in the well haired area. So this seems to be associated with hair. That is why, in my opinion this is an infection of hair follicle. But of course there is a possibility that this is something else (yes, it can be a wart, but does not look like - that is why, I asked you to puncture it or wait a week and if it wont go away see a dermatologist).
If you puncture it, some blood with pus (or without) will get out. After that a small scab can appear indeed. If you wont do anything, it can remain in the same size.

As you have noticed, none of your partners have anything like that. There needs to be a contact with infected person to get this virus. Moreover, wart grows slowly and gradually. It does not appear in one day.

To avoid hair follicle inflammation you should keep this area clean and dry and avoid sweating (too much layers can cause it indeed).

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Have bump at the top of pelvic area. Blood came out after popping it. Practicing safe sex 27 hours later
I've enclosed a picture of how it looks now compared to Friday, It had developed a scab which came off I had been cleaning the area. When I stretch the skin it is very smooth it just from where the scab had been peeled off and when I return the skin back to its normal position it looks like the picture.. Is this still more sign of the follicules being obstructed?
Is it smaller than before? From second picture it looks like it is smaller. And still seems to be follicle inflammation. Please be patient. It wont disappear in few days.
Wart does not look like on the second picture either.