Have bulge in upper abdomen, extraperitoneal fat. Had muscle repair, umbilical hernia. Liposuction needed?

I had a full tummy tuck and muscle repair 3 months ago but noticed a bulge in my upper abdomen from the day my bandages came off. An ultrasound of the area which showed that i have small amount if extraperitoneal fat in my upper abs.What is extraperitoneal fat and can it be removed with liposuction?

Im quite slim (5"2 and 41 kgs) and had a tummy tuck as i had diasistis recti after giving birth to twins and had also developed a umbilical hernia.
I'm quite slim 5'2 and 41 kgs.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 30 minutes later

Thanks for your query..

By the end of this session, I hope that I have solved your queries.

Extraperitoneal fat means the fat which covers the peritoneum. Peritoneum is the protective covering over various abdominal organs.
Like your umbilical hernia, extraperitoneal fat can also bulge through the weak muscles of the abdominal wall. Ideally, it should have been taken care by your operating surgeon while doing the tummy-tuck & muscle repair surgery.
You may get it removed by liposuction, but an empty sac may still remain. So it is better that the operating surgeon redoes surgery of that part. Now the entire surgery need not be done.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Have bulge in upper abdomen, extraperitoneal fat. Had muscle repair, umbilical hernia. Liposuction needed? 30 minutes later
Thank you so much for your answer. Would an empty sac still cause the bulge to remain or would the liposuction be able to make the area totally flat? And if i re do the surgery how can the surgeon fix the upper abdomen without redoing everything? Will i have another incision in the upper abdomen as well as the one below?
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 8 minutes later
Thanks for the follow-up.
No, Liposuction would not allow the empty sac to totally collapse. Some remnant of the sac would remain.
Instead a small re-do surgery can work wonders.
No the entire operated upper abdomen need not be operated. It can be done in the previous incision for the small bulge of fat. May be a mesh is necessary to prevent recurrence.
Always ready to solve your queries.